Moore College of Art & Design
2014 – Present, Assistant Professor & Graduate Program Director in Socially-Engaged Art at Moore College of Art & Design [Philadelphia, PA].
Courses Taught include the following (with quantitative evaluations here):
- Art and the Social: Foundations in Socially-Engaged Art (Summer Intensive)
- Communication in Context: Facilitation, Ethnography and Documentation Strategies (Online)
- Thesis Preparation Tutorial and Graduate Tutorial (one-on-one advising)
- Theories of Engagement (Reading Seminar and Thesis Writing prep)
- From the Practice to the Page: Written Thesis (Summer intensive and full semester course)
- Exhibitionism: Curating Art + Activism (Undergraduate liberal arts course)
- Professional Practices: Art/Life/Work (MFA seminar)
- Curatorial Studio (exhibition making for artists)
- Expanded Documentary (Undergraduate studio course)
Additional responsibilities: As founding director of a new Socially-Engaged Art department, I am responsible for teaching, developing curriculum, hiring faculty, recruiting students, developing partnerships and organizing public events. The department has two degree programs: an MA in Socially-Engaged Art and an MFA degree in Socially-Engaged Studio Art. The programs I run have an emphasis in studio art, community engagement and arts administration. I’ve also taken the role of assessment seriously by working with students and faculty to create multiple points of evaluation and reflection to accommodate different learning styles and inviting a wide range of visiting artists/critics to meet our students for their end of term critiques and qualifying reviews (those guests have included: Mike Cloud, Jamie Bennett, Denise Brown, Chie Fueki, Anthony Romero, Lisi Raskin, Sarah Schultz, Jesse Harrod, Shannon Stratton, Lacque Liu, Sophie Sanders, Ryan Dennis, Tiona McClodden, Leah Douglas, Mike O’Bryan, Karyn Oliver, Amze Emmons, Dan S. Wang and Magda Martinez).
Over the course of my time at Moore I have collaborated on restructuring several aspects of the program including curriculum changing from low residency to a conventional academic schedule, a realignment of the Graduate Studies area to be administratively combined with Continuing Education to allow for more experiments with adult education, and a change in the roles and responsibilities of the Studio Technicians and Admissions department. I’ve also been part of making significant changes to the scholarship/fellowship structure for funding graduate students, with the development of five graduate assistantships and significant increases in the number of students receiving tuition-reducing fellowships.
In my role as Graduate Program Director I am responsible for public programming. In collaboration with Paul Farber and Mural Arts Philadelphia I co-organized 3 annual events entitled In/Out Summer Symposium Socially Engaged Art (See documentation here) On an ongoing basis I’ve also organized the evening lecture series Conversations@Moore which are archived here.
- Instructor: Art In Context with Mary Jane Jacob and Abigail Satinsky (Summer, 2014) at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (Cross-listed between Sculpture and Art Education) [Chicago, IL] See course website.
- Instructor Chicago Political Art seminar (Winter and Summer, 2014) at Newberry Library [Chicago, IL]
- Instructor Summer Seminar on Art, Activism and Archiving (Summer, 2013) at University of Chicago’s Gray Center for Arts and Inquiry
- Artist Teacher (Spring, 2012) for the MFA-V at Vermont College of Fine Arts [Montpelier, Vermont]
- Teaching Assistant Tactical Media with Brian Holmes (Fall, 2012) at the University of Illinois at Chicago
- Teaching Assistant Screenwriting with Jennifer Reeder (Fall, 2011) at the University of Illinois at Chicago
Additional Curriculum Design:
- Immersive Life Practices and Learning Communities taught by Drea Howenstein at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (Spring, 2016) [Chicago, IL]
- Study Guide design for the 70 Acres in Chicago documentary film by Ronit Bezalel 
2004-2018 Visiting Artist Lectures in classes at the following educational institutions:
University of Illinois at Chicago; School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Northwestern University, Columbia College, DePaul University, Loyola University, Dominican University, University of Chicago, and Chicago State University [Chicago, IL]; Southern Illinois University [Carbondale, IL]; Syracuse University [Syracuse, NY]; University of Delaware [Newark, DE]; University of Pennsylvania, Moore College of Art and Design; Tyler School of Art at Temple University, University of the Arts, Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts [Philadelphia, PA]; Villanova University [Villanova, PA]; Bloomsburg University [Bloomsburg, PA]; University of Wisconsin [Milwaukee, WI]; Mills College [Oakland, CA]; College of the Redwoods [Eureka, CA]; California College of Art, San Francisco Art Institute, and University of San Francisco [San Francisco, CA]; California Institute of the Arts [Valencia, CA]; University of Southern California and University of California Los Angeles [Los Angeles, CA].