Since my last update a lot has happened. I was so excited to put 2012 behind me and am eager for what 2013 holds. I am thinking it will hold the finishing my MFA from University of Illinois at Chicago, the completion of a feature-length documentary, the publication of an e-book about localism, an exhibition surveying visual representations of “the crisis”, and a significant expansion of my collaborative Chicago art history project never-the-same.org. But we shall see about that, won’t we..?
News from last fall:
- TEACHING: “Tactical Media Generation” was a course that I co-developed with Brian Holmes this fall. In addition to facilitating guest lectures and giving my own, I also blogged for the class on several occasions. A few posts include:
- Children of Critical Art Ensemble http://autonomousuniversity.org/content/cae-nineties
- Media genealogies of the Most American City http://autonomousuniversity.org/content/tactical-television
- The Electoral Turn http://autonomousuniversity.org/content/overidentification
- Trashing The Neoliberal City: Documents and Reflections http://autonomousuniversity.org/content/urban-scenes
- The Festivalization of Culture http://autonomousuniversity.org/content/festival-hopping
- We organized a final event at the UIC Social Justice Initiative’s “pop up galleries” including a screening of several short videos (most of which are linked to here http://autonomousuniversity.org/content/take-the-squares) and a one-night exhibit of the We Are Here maps archive and Occuprint posters.
- MAPPING: Last year concluded the 6 year long Notes for a People’s Atlas project and for the first time ever maps from all the cities were presented together in “Required Reading”, an exhibition at the Center for Book Arts in New York City. You can check out the catalog essay and images on the curators website http://yaelleamir.com/CBA.html
- RANKING: Every year Newcity asks contributors to offer their choices for the best-of-chicago issue. I wrote a “top 10 Chicago art”: https://miscprojects.com/2012/11/08/best-of-chicago-art-for-newcity-in-2012/
- DIALOGING: Dan S Wang and I talk about community and place in the book DEEP ROUTES https://miscprojects.com/2012/11/07/conversations-with-dan-s-wang/
- RESPONDING: Here is an interview with Montreal-based Artivistic about my work on artistic infrastructure: https://miscprojects.com/2012/12/05/infrastructures/
- RANTING: “Against Social Practice” in Journal of Aesthetics and Protest http://www.joaap.org/diablog/daniel-tucker-against-social-practice/