Coming off of a great summer I wanted to share my general excitement that I wrapped up Moving Units, an exciting event series at the Kentucky Museum of Art and Craft, and my first full year directing the Social & Studio Practices department at Moore College of Art and Design in Philadelphia where we hosted a ton of artists this summer and you can check out some videos from our inaugural In/Out symposium here. The event was focused on the theme of Time, Pacing and Perspective in Socially-Engaged Art and seemed to really strike a chord with the audience and speakers alike – which makes me think that time is really something worth exploring further.
Related to that theme, I recently finished making my first feature-length video essay entitled Future Perfect: Time Capsules in Reagan Country and I am posting here to share a few upcoming screenings and also to plug a few events I am either participating in or hosting at Moore. Details and links below:
- 9/15 – Philadelphia – My department will be hosting Jeanne Van Heeswijk and Sue Bell Yank in Conversation at Moore.
- 9/17 – Minneapolis – I’ll be facilitating a discussion on the 1st day of the Hand in Glove conference called “Into the Field: Roundtable for New & Emerging Arts Organizers” for people who are looking for a point of entry into the subjects the weekend gathering will address.
- 9/24 – Santa Ana – My new video Future Perfect: Time Capsules in Reagan Country is going to screen at Grand Central Art Center and there will be a conversation with Manny Escamilla and the Teen Historians.
- 9/25 – Los Angeles – My Future Perfect: Time Capsules in Reagan Country will screen at Veggie Cloud and I will be in conversation with Rosten Woo.
- 10/2 – Chicago – This summer Cassie Fennel and I interviewed each other for a piece called “Displacemaking” being released in a special print edition of the Avery Review in conjunction with the Chicago Architecture Biennial.
- 10/11 – Allentown – Allentown Art Museum is hosting me for a panel about socially-engaged art in conjunction with Jill Odegaard’s Woven Welcome project.
- 10/19 – Detroit – I’ll be in town to attend the AICAD Social Practices Conference.
- 10/23 – Philadelphia – My department at Moore is co-hosting a University-Community Engagement Conference with the Netter Center at University of Pennsylvania.
- 10/25 – Philadelphia – Mural Arts Program is organizing a panel in conjunction with their Open Source exhibition called The Art of Conflict with Teddy Cruz, Jennie Shanker & Michelle Angela Ortiz and it will take place at my school!
- 11/3 – Philadelphia – Slought is hosting the Philadelphia premiere of my Future Perfect: Time Capsules in Reagan Country video and I will be joined by Rasheedah Phillips for a conversation.
And for those who cannot make it to any of these screenings of my Future Perfect: Time Capsules in Reagan Country video, let me know if you are curious and I will send you a link…or bring the video to your town!